Starting Your Dreams Later In Life and Embracing the Detour

Jenee Darden speaking at Creative Mornings I know it's been a while since I've posted anything but that's because of my job. I'm working as a reporter covering Oakland and I host an arts segment on the radio where I get to interview amazing artists from around the Bay Area. Plus I'm publicizing my book  and building my speaking career!  You know what's funny? I thought this would all happen by the time I was 27-30.  Nope. That wasn't God's plan for me. I'm finally beginning to do the things I've wanted to do and I'm almost 40 years old. Some people reading this who are 40 will say 40 is still young. But some younger people reading may think 40 is nearly ancient. But I'm writing this post for those who like me, thought their career and personal dreams would come true much early in life. I'm here to tell you not to give up.  You know, death inspires life. A number of my relatives and friends have passed away, ranging in

Remembering 9/11 and the World's Oldest Person

Gertrude Baines, 115

The world oldest person died this morning right here in LA. Gertrude Baines was 115 years old. According to the AP she met with her doctor a few days ago. Her only complaints were arthritis pain and soggy bacon served at the nursing home. Baines liked watching "Jerry Springer Show" and eating ice cream. She voted for Barack Obama in November. Can you imagine what that must have meant to her? This woman witnessed the decades right after abolition, the rise of the KKK, Civil Rights Movement, Black Power Movement, Feminist Movement, etc. Yet, she lived long enough to vote for the first black U.S. president. Amazing. I've read her mind was still sharp. Maybe I need to start watching Jerry Springer. Read more of Getrude Baines' story from the AP here.

September 11, 2001

The ignorance and fierce debating going on over Pres. Obama's health care plan has made me think about 9/11. Our country changed dramatically eight years ago this day. The attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon brought us together. It reminded us that our powerful country wasn't invincible and we needed to strengthen our homeland security. We feared flying and riding trains and buses. Our threat levels were coded in the colors red, orange and yellow. There was another threat level color spoken among us-brown. Muslim Americans, to this day, are subject to racial profiling and discrimination because their faces reflect those of the hijackers and Osama Bin Laden. Then the war in Iraq, that was meant for retaliation, pushed us far apart. Some of us disagreed Iraq was right place to jump start the War on Terror. While some of us backed Pres. Bush and believed in his strategy. Here we are today, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan continues. The right and left are still beefing. Hopefully today, we can put our differences aside and remember those who gave their lives voluntarily and involuntarily. Mothers, fathers, children, fire fighters, security guards, pilots, brothers, sisters, executives, husbands, wives, cashiers, police officers, etc died on 9/11. And many soldiers have given their lives since. Let's go back to that day when it wasn't about blue state or red state. Right or Left. Independent, Republican or Democrat. Let's go back to the day when we were all Americans. Remember?

Comments