Starting Your Dreams Later In Life and Embracing the Detour

Jenee Darden speaking at Creative Mornings I know it's been a while since I've posted anything but that's because of my job. I'm working as a reporter covering Oakland and I host an arts segment on the radio where I get to interview amazing artists from around the Bay Area. Plus I'm publicizing my book  and building my speaking career!  You know what's funny? I thought this would all happen by the time I was 27-30.  Nope. That wasn't God's plan for me. I'm finally beginning to do the things I've wanted to do and I'm almost 40 years old. Some people reading this who are 40 will say 40 is still young. But some younger people reading may think 40 is nearly ancient. But I'm writing this post for those who like me, thought their career and personal dreams would come true much early in life. I'm here to tell you not to give up.  You know, death inspires life. A number of my relatives and friends have passed away, ranging in

Switch It Up!
Taking the First Step Out of the Box


Ladies it's time to switch it up and step out of that confining box...

Anyone close to me knows I'm open to new things. The recession along with turning 30 has pushed me to switch up my activities. It's been a year and I'm still looking for full time work. With money tight I can't kick it at concerts, clubs, sorority events, fashion shows and fundraisers like I used to. Ahhh the good ol' days. However, that doesn't mean the party's over. This is just the remix. Now it's time for new, fun and affordable things to do.
When I first moved to LA I was hitting the club/party scene hard. Parking, entrance fees and drinks add up. Lately I've been taking advantage of what daytime Los Angeles has to offer and checking out more affordable parties. Since turning 30, I'm ready to explore other things.

Sometimes we don't step out of our comfort zone and try new things. For my black sistas, I've noticed how SOME of us are resistant to stepping out of the black community box to try something new. I'm not talking about interracial dating. I'm talking about diversifying your social life. For example, buying a bicycle and riding near the beach, scuba diving, joining a hiking or movie club, attending a free Brazilian concert, rolling with the girls to a Greek Festival (not black fraternity/sorority Greek). We spend so much money on our hair, nails and getting cute for the club (you know I'm telling the truth) why not put some of that money toward an activity that may last more than 2 weeks or one night? I'm not saying all black people do "black" things. However, if you step out of the box when it comes to your active life you never know what pleasures or men you may discover. I'm just saying......

This week I'm writing a series of posts called "Switch It Up." In other words, girl dare to do something different. Think about it. If sistas like Tina Turner, Grace Jones, the Williams Sisters, Jada Pinkett-Smith and Rihanna kept it traditional with music, sports and fashion they wouldn't be hot today. I'm not saying stop attending church picnics, sorority conferences, Jamie Foxx concerts, Chicago Step parties, etc. I still go to those events. For those who say there's nothing going on when they're tired of the same club or there's no parties that weekend....Girl, the world is your playground. There are swings, slides and monkey bars. Don't just play in the sandbox. Switch it up!



Photo Credit:

Comments