Starting Your Dreams Later In Life and Embracing the Detour

Jenee Darden speaking at Creative Mornings I know it's been a while since I've posted anything but that's because of my job. I'm working as a reporter covering Oakland and I host an arts segment on the radio where I get to interview amazing artists from around the Bay Area. Plus I'm publicizing my book  and building my speaking career!  You know what's funny? I thought this would all happen by the time I was 27-30.  Nope. That wasn't God's plan for me. I'm finally beginning to do the things I've wanted to do and I'm almost 40 years old. Some people reading this who are 40 will say 40 is still young. But some younger people reading may think 40 is nearly ancient. But I'm writing this post for those who like me, thought their career and personal dreams would come true much early in life. I'm here to tell you not to give up.  You know, death inspires life. A number of my relatives and friends have passed away, ranging in

Suspect in Dae'von Bailey Case Arrested

Remember little Dae'Von Bailey? The 6-year-old boy was found beaten to death in his South LA home last month. This was after complaining numerous times to county social workers he was being abused. Police have been on the hunt for suspect Marcus Fisher, Dae'Von's mamma's ex-boyfriend. Praise God police found Fisher in Las Vegas. The LA Times reports Fisher was hiding out with his girlfriend. That's his picture you see. He was disguised in a dreadlocks wig, but police followed his drug-buying trail over time and nabbed him. But's what's up with the girlfriend? Why would any woman want to protect a man who is a suspect for killing a kindergartner? Lady, you want a man that bad? The LA Times summarized a report of the crime scene:

"The report said [Dae'Von Bailey] had multiple bruises in different stages of healing on his face, arm and head. He had multiple cuts to his chest and back and multiple small cuts to both feet and the top of both feet below the ankle.The boy's 5-year-old sister was in the home and apparently witnessed his death and was with Dae'von's body without any adults present for more than an hour, relatives said."

But there's a good part to this story Cocoa Fly readers. You see, Dae'Von's mother, Tylette Davis, 28 said she can " sleep better at night now" because Fisher is captured. Davis left Dae'Von in Fisher's care because she couldn't take care of him or her 5-year-old daughter. Actually, there have been a dozen abuse and neglect charges against Davis' family since 1999. But thank the heavens because NOW, Tylette can get some rest. I wonder if Dae'Von ever had a good-night's
sleep.




Read more of the story in the LA Times.

Comments